Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Hey 'mon!

Here I am!!!

I'm exhausted, so tonight it's just a recap of the return from Jamaica. I promise that I'll start posting pics and stories tomorrow.

So I rode with a whole bus full of the wedding crew back to the Montego Bay airport on Monday. It's about a 1 1/2 hour trip from Negril. The ride was good, if not a bit curvy. Some of us arrived feeling a little green around the gills.

No problem getting the bag checked, doing a quick spot of duty free shopping, and grabbing a patty (Jamaican food stuff) to eat prior to boarding. Flight was easy. Got into Ft. Lauterdale (totally don't think I just spelled that right) and had to go through customs and immigration before hitting the connection.

Of course, nothing goes easily from here on out. Going through Immigration took about an hour and 15 minutes (I had 1:45 between flights.) During this time I had plenty of time to realize I had left my cell phone in the safe at the hotel. After Immigration, Spirit bag in the impossible-to-find area, and by the time their own agent locates it at Platform 9 and 3/4, I'm behind 100+ people waiting to go through Customs. I repeatedly asked the agent to help me to the front of the line, or call the gate agent and let them know I was coming, only to hear "Mam, there's nothing I can do to help you." I mean really, a MAM??? If anything, I'm a freshie, or so say the rastas!

Enter my angels of kick-ass-mercy. My plane had been boarding for 15 minutes and was due to pull out in 10. A group of hispanic New York women pulvarized that poor agent on my behalf. I was swiftly moved to the front of the line and told to take my bag (that was supposed to be rechecked) straight to the gate for a plane-side check-in. I think this was mostly in an effort to shut my angels of kick-ass-mercy up. Through a comedy of errors that includes me running through the damn airport concourse OJ Simpson style (pre- glove era) I make it onto the plane about 60 seconds before they close the door and push back.

I got to Reagan National in D.C. not even caring if my freakin' bag made it on the plane. My only concern was that Tough Lucy Dodge would still be in the economy parking lot, and would start. By the way, it's 10pm at this point. Oh, sure, TLD start up just fine. The only problem is that her back right tire is flat. Nice. Did I mention that it was cold (thank god) and drizzling? So the attendant guy helps me use a portable compressor to get enough air in the tire to get me to the gas station where I can fill it the rest of the way up. (I have a slow leak in that tire.) I checked the tire about every 45 minutes on the trip home to make sure I wasn't losing it.

By the time I got home I was just beat. The dog was wiggly and oh-so-glad I was home, the cat came out of hiding finally (only 2 spottings by the neighbors while I was gone.) I tried to sleep, which is hard to do with a 75 pound dog trying to keep in constant body contact with you, and a cat who thinks the best way to prevent being left again is to sleep on your head.

Now, I've known that I needed new tires for about a month, but was just putting off getting them as long as possible. Today TLD got 4 brand-spankin' new tires. No more flats for me!

Coming soon to a blog near you... (okay, really it's just this blog)
  • Yes, Rent-a-rasta is a man-whore situation that smells like pot.
  • PUSH THE BUTTON!!!
  • How I learned to open a beer bottle with a water bottle
  • and many more that will have to be edited prior to publishing

Good night all!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I wish you'd have called from the Airport. We could have at least done a better job on the tire for you before you drove home. All things being equal, it's good to have you back.

Anonymous said...

you are not allowed to take your cell phone on vacations ... especially ones involving weddings! =)

mist1 said...

Am waiting for the Rent-a-Rasta.

Anonymous said...

At least my phone made it on the plane even if it was left in an attempt to go back to Mexico. I'll talk to you when you get it back.

WanderingGirl said...

CEO- thankfully it all worked out in the end. And my new tires drive great!

Anon- Is that you Goose? Or is it Bobbio?

Mist1- I ordered 2 for you. Unfortunately, everything will arrive on Jamaica-time, so expect them in 3-4 years.

Ryan- luckily I was able to re-activate an old phone until it gets back. Call away.

Anonymous said...

Dude, what a coincidence. I, uh, left MY cell phone in Vegas. And a credit card....

Lindsey said...

I bet you had such a great time in Jamaica. I'm SO jealous!

I need to hit the beach big time.

Anonymous said...

how exciting! we're going on a cruise next week and one of the stops is Ochos Rio, Jamaica....I'm so ready...

"# Yes, Rent-a-rasta is a man-whore situation that smells like pot."

I'd rent one! Not for the sex, but I'd be happy to pay him to share his ganja!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what i'm going to do. I need to order a new one anyway so I'm just going to have to be out of contact until they deliver it.

yeah, i left my cell phone and quite a bit of cash in vegas!