It's 1:16am, and I'm waiting on Dennis. " Who is Dennis?," you may ask. Dennis is the 2nd on-call maintenance guy at Whisper Creek who I've had to bother since I've been here. Why? Why you ask, am I bothering Dennis at 1am? Because I have no heat. It's 63 degrees in my apartment. Now, for those of you who know me, I'm a cool house kind of girl. But as the temperature continued to drop inside my apartment, and my heater didn't kick on, I got a bit worried. Thermostat (electronic, of course) was flashing "low battery". So I reset it, reprogrammed it, and everything looked fine. Two hours later, as my hands are frozen and the dogs are attempting to crawl under the covers with me, and the cat is trying to crawl under the dogs, I decided this was a bigger problem. I tried to warm my hands up by running some hot water over them. But alas, I have no hot water either. Being the engineer's-daughter that I am, I go to the porch to check the status of my hot water heater. I am shocked and horrified to report that there is a layer of ice in the base of the closet. The scarier thing is that there is also a portable heater plugged in (inside the closet on my porch, which houses my water heater, right next to the closet that houses my empty boxes from moving every 3 months.) I have probably flooded Mullett's apartment once again. I'm going to have flaming dog-poo bags left on my doorstep. If not from Mullett, from the maintenance department.
So, begrudgingly, I called the emergency line... again. True to their message, someone called within 10 minutes. Poor, poor Dennis. I promised him I/we (me and the kids) could live until morning, as I didn't really know what he could do at 1am to solve the crisis (which in the grand scheme of things... floods, typhoons, tsunamis... is not that major. Cold, but not major.) But Dennis assured me that he could fix it, and it would be best to do it now before anything else froze.
On behalf of my father, I would like to ask the following question:
Who the hell builds a fancy-schmancy apartment complex, puts the water heater outside in a closet, uninsulated, and plugs in a Wal-Mart brand space heater to keep it from freezing? I'm pretty sure I'll be calling their insurance company to report this, so when the whole place burns down some day, they don't cover a dime of it. The University of Phoenix will be called, and the contractor's license will be revoked. I will make sure of it! And Dennis will have my back!
1 comment:
Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You can't have these kind of adventures without Minn. Hope by the time you get this you have heat and hot water and you and Dennis can BOTH have restful saturdays.
Post a Comment