Sunday, April 23, 2006

I get paid to make grown men cry


Sometimes, it's just fun watching grown men cry. Let's go over exactly what happened...

My work day starts at 7:30 and ends at 6:00. That means I have to be done with patient care and have all my paperwork done (and be out the door) by 6pm. So today, a 29 year old man with WAAAAAY too much testosterone had surgery for the leg he broke playing softball yesterday. At 5:30pm, he's screaming and yelling at the nurses to get him out of bed so he can go smoke. Did I mention his delightful personality? So, being the nice PT I am, I agree to go get this guy out of bed (even though I should have been done seeing patients by then, and we usually don't get guys up the evening after they have surgery.) Now, he's a fairly big guy and I decide that 5 hours after he wakes up from surgery he probably won't be ready for crutches, so here comes the walker. His fiance (who's not a PT, by the way) promptly tells me that he can't use a walker, he needs crutches. I tell her that if he's ready for crutches tomorrow I'll let him go on them, but for tonight, it's a walker or nothing.

The guy calls me a bitch.

You know this isn't going anywhere good now.

Basically I told the man (very calmly and without calling him an asswipe, by the way) that he had the choice to get out of bed now with a walker with me, or he would have to wait until the morning to go out and have his cigarette. He decides he might be okay with a walker. So, I help him get out of bed, and when he stands up, not only is he glad he has a walker because he's shaking like a leaf, but he starts to cry. And I don't mean a little trickle down the cheek. I mean a full on, bawling his eyes out, including the "Oh god, why did this happen to me?!?!?!" stuff. I had a vicious little giggle on the inside which included thinking "because you're an asshole." Needless to say, he didn't go walking around like he thought he would. And I got the satisfaction of watching a grown man cry... after he called me a bitch.

7 comments:

C.A. Johnson said...

Love it....

miss king said...

ohhhh snaaappp! I bet he'll be a very compliant patient from now on...

Anonymous said...

That's my girl, go get 'em tiger! You sure know how to sniff out the charmers don't you? First the demented lady who patted your thigh, now this.....glad I became a "head" therapist.

Anonymous said...

By the way, it's Amy (Sochocki-Norton) who wrote the above. I'm listed as "Anonymous" because I haven't had the time to figure out how to become a full fledged "Blogger". Ya know, make the kids dinner or become a blogger........tough choice.

C.A. Johnson said...

I'll tell you what....

WanderingGirl said...

Jeaner, you could have given my inner dialog! And you know it wasn't pretty, or anything my Mom would have been proud of!

212degreedesigns said...

ROFLMAO
HARD
..

no HARDER EVEN

thank you that was perfect.